2 Post In 1: Working On A Farm, Riding A Tractor, & Monday! (AR) “DAYS 189 & 190” – 1/9/11, 1/10/11

January 11, 2011 - 1:30 am - (AR) “DAY 189” - Week 28 - State 26

Since getting drunk isn’t my specialty anymore, when I woke up this morning... I felt like walking death!  Ahhh!  Alcohol is so evil the next morning!  Plus, first thing this morning I was woken up by Doug who came by Spaulding’s so I could experience life on his farm (with his cows).

Last night while we were out, Doug told me that in the morning he has to feed his cows before the Sunday play-off games.  As everybody should know by now, I’m not a country boy at all, so anything to do with cows is exciting to me.

Well... except something an Arkansas guy would do with a cow when he was obviously drunk, lonely, and single. 😉 JK

Anyway, Doug got Spaulding and I up and out of Spaulding’s place before 11 am.  The plan was to feed some cows and then head to a bar called Foghorns to watch the first play-off game of the day between the Chiefs and Ravens.  Got it?  Good. 🙂

Working On A Farm
Doug’s cows/farm was only about 10 minutes from Spaulding’s place, so it wasn’t a far ride.  When we arrived at the farm, I was still a little tired and hungover (not myself yet.)

None-the-less, when I saw all the cows in the field, I started to feel better and got some energy back.  So, before we even got the area where we were gonna feed the cows, I asked Doug to pull over so we I could take some pictures.

Calling Cows
Where we pulled over, was on the other side the fence of where all the cows were, so Doug called all the cows over with some cow call.   Yes, cows do respond to a cow call because after he did whatever he did... all the cows started walking over to where we were.  Crazy! 🙂

After getting to meet some of his cows up close and personal (I think one was named Cloie), the three of us headed over to the other side of the property so we could  feed the cows huge rolled bails of hay.

Doug Feed’s The Cows
As soon as we got out of the truck, Doug got on his tractor and tractor’d his way over to one of the bails of hay.  Then, using the tractor, he picked up a bail of hay and drove into a field where all the cows were walking to eat.  (They (the cows) were walking over to where we were because Doug cow called them again.)

Anyway, after watching Doug feed the cows the first bail of hay, he called me over told me it was my turn.  What?  I have never been on a tractor (except when I was 14 and that’s a long story), I have never worked on a farm, and I definitely have never fed a cow before so... this is gonna be interesting.

Working On A Farm For The First Time
Now, since I haven’t worked on a farm before and I don’t know how to drive a tractor, I didn’t expect this to go smoothly.  And, to be honest... I didn’t think I would enjoy it at all because when I’m not good at something, I get easily frustrated. 😉  Plus, it’s work and who likes to work! 😉

None-the-less, with all that going against me, this wound being one of the purest forms of enjoyment I have had all trip long.  From the moment I got on the tractor, you’d a thought I was kid who just got off his first roller coaster (if he/she liked it). 😉

What I’m trying to say is... I couldn’t stop smiling not matter how hard I tried, that’s how much fun I was having. F.Y.I. - It was cold too, real cold, but that didn’t matter because I was farmer now and that what’s farmers do! 😉

Riding A Tractor & Feeding Cows
Like I said, from the moment I got on the tractor, I was smiling from ear from ear.  But, I didn’t know what I was doing, so Doug gave me a quick lesson on how to use it and where to put the hay if I was successful.

Now, for the rest of this post, I should just refer to myself as “Roy Hobbs” because when it comes to farming.... I’m “The Natural”!  Yes, who would have known but after just one quick lesson, I was a master of feeding cows with a tractor!

The first thing I had to do was put the tractor in gear and back it up into a bail of hay. (I did this because there was a long spike on the end that stuck into the hay.)  After that, I had to use the hydraulic equipment to pick the hay up of the ground.

Once that was all done (I did it flawlessly), I had to drive the hay into a field and place it down by where the cows were.  I was nervous driving by the cows because they wouldn’t move until I got real close and I didn’t want to run over one of Doug’s cows.  (They cost about $1000 each.)

Not to mention, murdering a cow would probably be a little traumatic for a guy who have never even been around one.  I’d have to go to a cow psychiatrist, cow killer meetings, and maybe I’d even have to do some jail time.  LOL, JK 🙂

Anyway, after I did the first one so effortlessly (again, I’m the Roy Hobbs of cow feeding), Doug let me do the last bail of hay for the day. (His cows only get 3 bails per day in the winter, less in the summer.)

Leaving My Calling
After having more fun than I ever would have thought, the three of us headed out for some lunch after a long day of farming (20-30 minutes).   Ahhh, the life of a cow farmer isn’t easy, but man it’s rewarding!  I truly felt good about what I had just accomplished!  I fed cows, so cool!  🙂

When we got to Foghorns (chicken joint), it was almost kick-off of the early game, perfect timing! 🙂  As we walked in, I immediately started talking to the group of military guys sitting behind us.  I did this because we were just talking about the military in the car and I had to ask the sergeant a question.

After b.s.-ing with those guys for a few minutes (actually it turned into a all day event), we sat down at a table and ordered some beers and food.  Well... everybody else did, I had to start writing because I’m 2 days behind and don’t want to get any further.

Sometime during the 2nd quarter, two of the military guys (or ex-military) joined our table because their friends had just left (we invited them over).  Then, for the rest of the game, the 6 of us told jokes, stories, and I even got to learn the Woo Pig Sooie chant!

F.Y.I. - The 6 of us were: Older man (forgot his name), Spaulding, Doug, Hurtt, Rob, and me.  What a motley crew we got going on here. 😉

Woo Pig Sooie
The Woo Pig Sooie call is a chant used at all Arkansas games, tailgates, pep rallies, etc... It’s kinda hard to explain but everybody in the bar knew it and they did it for me so I could see it live.  Way cool!  Thank you bar! 🙂

Leaving Foghorns
When the first game ended (3:30 pm), it was time go because Spaulding had work he had to pre-pare for his up-coming week.  I was happy about it as well because it would give me time to catch up on all the writing I’m behind.  Perfect!

Back To Spaulding’s For The Night
Even though it was just 4 pm, this was last thing we did for the entire day besides, eat dinner, watch football, and work our respective jobs.  By the way, Spaulding loves to cook, so dinner was great!  He made us lobster and pasta.  Nice!  Thank you! 🙂

Sometime after the late NFL game (Packers vs. Eagles, Pack won), Spaulding crashed out for the night and I just kept working on all the stuff I have to do.  (Tonight while I watched TV, I tried to sort all the best pictures from the first 2 months of my trip.)  What a project that turned out to be!  Ahhh! 🙁

Anyway, that was my day.  The only other interesting thing that happened today is that it is snowing out!  Yes, it’s snowing in Fayetteville, Arkansas.  I’m not sure how much we are getting but I guess I’ll find out in the morning!

Thanks for reading!

January 11, 2011 - 1:15 pm - (AR) “DAY 190” - Week 28 - State 26

When I woke up this morning (11 am), the first thing I saw was more snow on the ground.  And, after watching the news, I realized it had snowed pretty good around here (at least for the south) because most schools were closed as well as Kevin’s sales appointments (that wasn’t on the news). 😉

Since we were kinda snowed in, all we did today was work.  I worked on my website (writing) and Kevin (work name) did all his work from his home office.  Other than that, the only thing that happened was that Spaulding made me a great breakfast! 🙂 Thank you!

Seeing A Movie - “The Fighter”
It was around 4:30 pm when Spaulding asked me if I wanted to go see a movie before the NCAA championship started at 7:30 pm.  We had both finished working for the day although both of us still had work to do. (Ya know what I mean, sometimes there is just to much to do in a day!) 😉

Anyway, after realizing “The Fighter” was playing at 4:55 pm right down the street and the movie only lasted for 2 hours... we decided it was the perfect timing before the NCAA Championship game later.  We should even have time to get some dinner (to-go) before we get back.  Nice!

AMC Theaters
We arrived at the theater a little after 5 pm which turned out perfect because by the time we got some refreshments and made it to our seats, the movie was just about to begin.

F.Y.I. - Spaulding paid for my movie ticket ($4, nice deal) and then paid for my refreshments for the movie as well ($9, as a good of a deal). 😉  Thank you again Spaulding!  Your generosity has been overwhelming! 🙂

The movie itself was very good and whoever played opposite Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale I think, was amazing as the drug addict brother (to Micky Ward).  I did enjoy the movie although they should have found a way to incorporate the Gatti fights at the end.

Whole Hog Cafe
A few business’s down from the movie theater was a BBQ joint called the Whole Hog Cafe.  Spaulding told me they had great food and from the trophies they had all over the restaurant... he wasn’t the only one who thought so!  🙂

Anyway, after taking in the scenery and discussing the menu, we decided to get a BBQ platter and full rack of ribs with sides to-go.  It was a tough call because everything smelled so good, but we didn’t fail because when we got back to Spaulding’s place and ate... it was unbelievable!

F.Y.I. - Again, Spaulding wouldn’t let me pay and covered the bill for dinner.  This is to much, I am so grateful.  This is why my trip is able to continue, people like Kevin!

Dinner & The NCAA Game Back At Spaulding’s
For the rest of the evening, all we did was eat phenomenal BBQ food (really, the ribs were so good I wish I could have eaten them forever) and watch the NCAA football game.  Both of us hit a food coma by halftime and crashed out early.

Luckily for me, I woke up at the start of 4th quarter and got to see the end of a great football game. (Auburn beat Oregon 22-19 to win the National Championship.)  After the game ended, all I did was write, watch more TV, and then pass out on the couch around 4 am.  That was my day! 🙂

Thanks for reading!


Comments (1)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. DAD says:

    You look good on a tractor. Sounds like you & Arkansas
    are getting along !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a Reply

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar.

  • #305 (no title)
  • Beat The Rooster
  • Casino Review
  • Donationship
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • matches
  • On The Road
  • player predictions
  • Poker
  • prediction sheet
  • ranking
  • Rooster’s Road Pic’s
  • rules
  • statistics
  • Tell Your Rooster Stories
  • The Challenge
  • The Master Plan
  • The Trip
  • Forum
  • About Me
  • favorite
  • Poker Stories
  • Road Stories
  • Rooster History
  • The Trip
  • Video
  • Your Rooster Stories
  • 2011
  • 2010