2 Posts In 1: Leaving Kansas, A Chief’s Game, Harrah’s, & More! (KS-MO) (MO) “DAYS 182 & 183” – 1/2/11, 1/3/11

January 4, 2011 - 1:00 pm - “DAY 182” - Week 26 - State 25

I woke up this morning after just 3 hours sleep (9:30 am) because I wanted to go to the Chief’s game this afternoon (noon kick-off).  I’m not to happy about the lack of sleep but the show must go on!

Anyway, since Kansas City, MO is over an hour away (1:15 min), I only had time to thank Ryan for being so cool and pack my car to leave.  Like I said yesterday, Ryan and Brain made my time in Topeka awesome and memorable.  Thanks Guys!

Traveling To Missouri (Chief’s Game)
Now, not only was I going to the Chief’s game today but I was also moving on to my next state, Missouri!  I can hardly believe that in just 2 days I will be past the half-way point and on the downward slide to finishing this crazy journey!  Unreal! 🙂 Woo Hoo!

Anyway, like I already told you, the drive was just over long but after not getting much sleep... it proved to be a tough one. 😉  None-the-less, I sucked it up and  got myself ready for a great day at a NFL football game.

Arriving At The Stadium
As I was driving toward Arrowhead Stadium, the first thing I saw was the KC Royals baseball stadium which is adjacent to the football field.  Not bad!  A pretty cool set-up they have here. 🙂

Now, since the drive was an hour and I left at 10 am-ish, I only had a short amount of time to find a cool tailgate and... a ticket for the game today.  This will be tough because by the time I find parking and walk toward the tailgating area, it should be real close to kick-off. 🙁

Being that time was of the essence, I had to find a close parking spot.  The problem... close parking spots cost $$$$!  So, I drove to a parking lot across the street from the stadium and asked how much it cost.  The lady told me $15 and after thinking about for a bit... I decided against it and pulled out.

As I was leaving that parking area, I spotted a Conoco (gas station) right next to me that had parking.  Now, the route I took to get there must have been the perfect one because there was nobody to pay when I entered and it seemed as if I found a spot somebody just pulled out of.  Sweet! (I saved $15!) 🙂

Finding A Tailgate
By the time I parked and made it the tailgating area, it was almost 11:30 am.  Shit!  I don’t have a lot time to make things happen. 🙁  None-the-less, I searched the parking lot for what looked like a cool tailgating party.

It didn’t take me long before I spotted a bunch of guys with a Chiefs tent, cooking a whole bunch of deep fried food!  Nice! 🙂  I approached the group of guys and with-in seconds, I was invited, offered some food, and given a shot of whiskey!  🙂

I hung out these wild dudes (who were good and sauced up) for the next 30 minutes but they were heading into the game on time so my tailgating party was ending shortly. 🙁

As everybody was packing up to leave, I asked around for a ticket but nobody had an extra.  They said I could stay in their tailgating area and eat/drink whatever was left (which was super cool) but I wanted to go into the game too, so I had another shot and left to find a ticket.

Finding A Ticket
I knew finding a cheap or free ticket would be tough because... 1.) The Chiefs are good this year and this is their last home game before the play-offs.  2.) Arrowhead stadium is known for it rowdy rabid fans and from what I can see, they are all here!  3.) As I soon found out, wearing a Steeler's hat wasn’t gonna help! 😉

Anyway, during my walk from where I tailgated to the entrance, I asked everybody I could find if they had an extra ticket for the game.  Nobody had one and just about everybody I asked said, “If they did, they wouldn’t give it to a Steeler’s fan!”  Damn!

I wasn’t discouraged and I wasn’t taking off my colors, so I just kept on looking for a ticket.  Next thing I knew, I was at the entrance to the stadium and I still didn’t have ticket.  Ahhh!

Then, I saw three guys approaching the stadium and I could in their hands they had 4 tickets!  Cha-ching!  I approached the guys and they said I could have the ticket.  Sweet!  But... as we walking to the entrance gate (20 feet), the guy noticed my Steeler hat and said he wouldn’t give the ticket anymore!

Come on!  Are you serious!  He was, and kept walking into the game with an extra ticket in is hand.  I yelled to him and pleaded my case, so he walked back and said if I had anything KC on he would give it to me free.  I didn’t, so I offered him $20 and he reluctantly took it.  Alright, I’m in!

Arrowhead Stadium
Arrowhead stadium happens to be the nicest football stadium I have been in yet.  What I mean is, the inner circle of the stadium (hallway area) is filled with Chiefs memorabilia, hall of fame's, as well as a ton of other cool stuff.

Chief’s Walk Of Honor
The biggest display they had was the Chiefs Walk of Honor.  This display was big and is probably about 2-3 section long (in the hallway).   In this area, they had every Chief great imaginable from Marty Shottenheimer to kicker Nick Lowery.  (I met Nick Lowery about 7 years ago and he’s a big kicker, 6’6-ish.)

Anyway, I walked through the entire section but I stopped to pay tribute to one of my favorite players to watch, the late Derrick Thomas.  He was a monster during my childhood days and passed away tragically at a young age (car crash).  I still think he holds the record for sacks in a game with seven.

Other Cool Memorabilia
Like I said, they had ton of other cool displays as well including a greatest 50 players wall set-up, a game by game record for the last 50 or so years, many window display’s of the old AFC, there 69 season, as well as their lonne Super Bowl Trophy.  Really cool! 🙂

The Game Itself - Finding A Seat
Now, I’m not sure where my real seat was because I never even checked the ticket.  I already know I can sit wherever I want to especially since I’m by myself. 😉  So, for the first quarter, I bounced around the lower section of the stadium sitting in a bunch of different areas.

Picture With A Cheerleader
Near the end of the 1st quarter, I was sitting in the front row of the end zone when I asked a cheerleader if she would take a picture with me.  She was really sweet and said, she couldn’t during the game but if I stayed til the end, she would gladly take one with me afterward. 🙂

That’s real cool of her but no way I am gonna be here until the end of the game.  I’m way to tired, it’s way to cold out, and I really don’t care who wins the game... I’m a Steeler's fan! 🙂

Steeler’s Game
F.Y.I. - While I watched the game, I was more scoreboard watching than anything to see if Pittsburgh was beating Cleveland to secure the #2 seed in the AFC.  I even went to a bar inside for a little bit to watch the scoreboard on the bottom of the screen. (No other games were played on any TV in the entire stadium except for the Chief’s.)

Raiders Sidelines
After finding out the Steeler's were killing the Browns, I headed back into the stands where I sat in the 3rd or 4th row behind the Raiders bench.  From here I took a few cool pictures of the kickers and watched most of the 2nd quarter.  (The Raiders were winning pretty easily and the Chief’s fans didn’t like it.)

By now I had almost had enough of the game, mainly because I was so tired and needed a nap but also because of the reasons I stated a little earlier. So, the last thing I did was go to the last seat of the last of the stadium and snap a few pictures.

F.Y.I. - Even though I was tired, this was worth my walk all the way up to the top because the pictures I got from here were the best I got all day long.

Leaving The Game Early
Now, I’m not a fan of leaving the game early but I was falling to pieces, so sometime during the 3rd quarter, I slipped out of the stadium and left for Harrah’s in North Kansas City, Missouri.

I was happy I left when I did because I’m sure the traffic out of here is a insane and I was in need of a bed.  Anyway, Harrah’s was just a few miles from the stadium and I arrived there with no problem in less then 20 minutes.

F.Y.I. - Oh yeah, I booked a room here for 5 days last week while I was in Topeka.  It was $33 a night, so instead of worrying about a room, I just booked it and I’ll have to win it back during my stay! 🙂

Front Desk - My Room
I got to the front desk and the lady who helped me was very nice, her name was Cleet.  She did all the hoopla and checked into me into my room in no time.  Nice meeting you Cleet!

I got to my room and it was your standard Harrah’s room (TV, Bed, etc..).  It didn’t matter to me, I was so tired I just put my things down and relaxed on the bed for the next few hours as I watched the late NFL games.

The Rest of My Night
After relaxing/napping for a few hours, I woke up and started writing.  I had a lot to write and I’m still behind a day or two.  Damn!  (I’ll be all caught up by the end of today.) 🙂

Other than writing, I only thing I did was get some food from one of the casino restaurants.  But, I didn’t want to pay for it so I played a few hands of blackjack, won $20, and then got my dinner!  Nice, a blackjack win!

I then sat in my room for the rest of the evening writing and watching TV.  I wanted to go play some poker but I’m in no rush, I have 5 days here and I have some things I have to do before I start my poker marathon!

Thanks for reading!

January 4, 2010 - 3:10 pm - (MO) “DAY 183” - Week 27 - State 25

For those of you who aren’t aware, today is last day of the first half of my trip!  When the day is over... I will be on the downward slide back to NJ for 4th of July!  Holy Sheepshit! 🙂  (If I find time, I will write a half-way post soon.)

Anyway, for it being the last day of my first 6 months, I didn’t do all that much today.  I was just so happy to be in a nice hotel room with poker just a few feet away that... that’s all I did today.  I played poker and hung out in hotel room.  Very relaxing and fun for me! 🙂

Well... that isn’t entirely the truth because I also had plans with Tara (from Topeka) but she cancelled on me for a variety of reasons.  It’s to long to get into but if she was telling me the truth, than I hope you feel better. 🙂

I got to the poker room around 2 pm but wasn’t sat in a game for almost 30 minutes.  They had a pretty long list for two in the afternoon on a Monday. 😉  Anyway, I finally was sat in a 1-2 NL game and I bought in for $125 (table max buy-in is $200).

I knew it was gonna be a good day because my first hand was pocket Q’s.  There wasn’t much action in the hand but I won it and a small win is better than a big lose! 😉

I could get into the details of a bunch of hands but basically I got pocket Kings or Queens 2 times each, won all 4 hands and walked away plus $125 for the session. ( I got up from the table around 5 pm to eat some dinner.)

Buffet Time
I had doubled my money playing poker so it was time for a break.  And...what’s a better break than to gorge yourself at a buffet (sarcasm). 😉  Seriously though, I was hungry and it’s the best deal in this casino by far for your $.

And let me tell you... I didn’t waste a dollar in that buffet!  I ate like a bear who had just hibernated all winter long!  I ate so much that I had to switch seats to a booth during my meal so I could lay back in between bites.  🙂  Yes, I was that fat!

The only problem was... that I ate so much food and stayed in the buffet area so long that I missed the cut off to buy into the 7 pm poker tournament they had.  Damn fat buffet mind-set! 😉

Back To My Room
Since the poker tourney was off and I was stuffed to the gills with food, I just went back to my room to relax and watch some TV.  I must have eaten way to much because before I knew it... I was in and out consciousness for the rest for evening.

I did wake up a few times but that was just to eat some of the buffet food I took with me when I ate earlier (ham sandwiches, cookies, and rice crispy treats!). Umm mmmm!  (It always a good idea to wear cargo pants to a buffet!) 😉

After all I’ve accomplished in the past 6 months (meeting the President, being in the Guinness Book of World Records, shooting the ho tdog gun in Nebraska, singing with the Roosters, and on and on and on), I know today wasn’t to exciting but I won a few bucks and the trip lives on for another day! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Thanks for reading!


Comments (4)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Mark says:

    Hey Rooster!
    So I am the reluctant Chiefs fan who wouldn’t give up the ticket up for free! Reason being: no chiefs gear like which you mention but the previous home game, a similar situation happened and I did give the guy my extra ticket, just to see him start trying to sell it. I’m glad you had fun in KS and MO. Good luck on your travels!
    Olathe, KS

  2. preston dougherty says:

    hey rooster its preston from strouds, wheres’s the pic’s. keep it up

  3. dave says:

    Hey Preston! Thanks for stopping by, it just went up.

  4. dave says:

    Thanks Mark! I appreciated the $20 ticket to be in such an awesome environment although free would have been better! 🙂

Leave a Reply

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a Gravatar.

  • #305 (no title)
  • Beat The Rooster
  • Casino Review
  • Donationship
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • matches
  • On The Road
  • player predictions
  • Poker
  • prediction sheet
  • ranking
  • Rooster’s Road Pic’s
  • rules
  • statistics
  • Tell Your Rooster Stories
  • The Challenge
  • The Master Plan
  • The Trip
  • Forum
  • About Me
  • favorite
  • Poker Stories
  • Road Stories
  • Rooster History
  • The Trip
  • Video
  • Your Rooster Stories
  • 2011
  • 2010